Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
HOME

​​​​​

What advantages can you expect
from working with Spanish Point?

 

To begin with, we offer software
that is familiar and easy to use
and is designed to reflect the
way people and organizations
work.

​​

Spanish Point Technologies is an innovative software company working with Microsoft technologies to provide business systems which remove complexity, increase productivity and connect users to critical business information.  

We are a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner with three gold and two silver competencies. Spanish Point are the 2016 Microsoft Partner of the year in Ireland, 2015 Microsoft 'Azure Platform Solution' partner of the year and the 2014 Microsoft 'Cloud Excellence' partner of the year. We were also awarded IT Professionals of the Year' at the 2015 Tech Excellence Awards.

We employ technologies such as SharePoint, Office 365, Azure, Dynamics CRM , SQL Server and BI to build great business solutions.

History of Spanish Point

Spanish Point Technologies was founded in 2005 by John Corley, CTO and Donal Cullen CEO.  Having both worked in the IT indutry for  over 20 years each, they visualised Microsoft's boost in its investment in technologies for meduim and large organisations. They could see that products such as SharePoint, SQL server and BizTalk were full of great technologies that would create an environment for workers which would increase productivity and remove complexity. They took advantage of this development and created a Microsoft  Partner company, Spanish Point Technologies.

donal 1.jpgDonal Cullen, CEOjohn 2.jpgJohn Corley, CTO

Spanish Point is now one of Ireland's leading Microsoft Partners. It remains at the forefront of any emerging Microsoft technologies to create innovative business solutions for customers. John and Donal believe that the main ingredient to the success of Spanish Point is the combination of its highly-skilled, hard-working team along with its wide array of loyal customers. The company is being constantly challenged with complex but motivating projects which are successfully delivered to the customer's satisfaction. 

Testament to Spanish Point's continuous hard work and successful customer projects, it was​ awarded 2015 Microsoft's 'Azure Platform Solution of the Year', a title added to a long list of other recognitions received from Microsoft for their pioneering implemetation of its software in their business solutions. 

History of Spanish Point's building

There's not much left by the way of pre-boom buildings on Sir John Rogerson's Quay. Row upon row of mis-matched shining steel and glass structures tower over Dublin's docks bustled with industry. One warehouse that has managed to survive, a double gabled redbrick building that sits where the Samuel Beckett bridge meets the Southside boasts two unusual and very original features.

The warehouse at 30-32 Sir John Rogerson's Quay was built in the 1890's and was once home to the Dublin Tropical Fruit Company, who occupied the premises for decades. It has played host to plenty of drama in it's lifetime; in the mid-thirties, a young teenager fell to his death from the roof, the sixties saw a long running strike on the premises and the eighties saw a fire come close to gutting the building. On 16th April1950, a ship named the Abraham Lincoln arrived into Dublin bearing tonnes of bananas bound for the warehouse. When the ship made port, it was discovered that its cargo of fruit was already too ripe for sale, leading the company to refuse it and the ship's crew to dump tonnes of black skinned bananas overboard. Alexandria basin was lined with scores of people waiting for the chance to grab any that might float ashore, whilst rowboats set out from Ringsend with the aim of getting to the booty first. Gardaí struggled to maintain order as hundreds of children tried to force entry into the basin. (Irish Press, 17.04.1950) The building later housed offices belonging to U2 and is now home to the software company, Spanish Point technologies ltd.

Over the doors of the building, hang two recognisable figures - two granite keystones representing Anna Livia and the Atlantic, replicas of which appear elsewhere along the River Liffey. Originally sculpted by the eminent (though self-effacing as some records state!) Edward Smyth, they had once adorned the archways of Carlisle Bridge, the structure that predated what we now know as O'Connell Bridge. The bridge was remodeled in the late 1870's and the granite keystones were removed - Carlisle Bridge having had three arches with a hump rising high above the water below, Anna Livia and Atlantic were deemed too large to fit the lower elliptical arches of the bridge. The new bridge had arches which sat much lower over the water, and the keystones would need to be replaced. They were remodeled by Charles W. Harrison and the originals sculpted by Edward Smyth somehow ended up on the facade of the warehouse on Sir John Rogerson's Quay.

Smyth (1749-1812) was a sculptor and modeler who served an apprenticeship under Simon Vierpyl (Clerks of Works for the Casino building in Marino) and later worked for a Dublin stone cutter named Henry Darley. His work was mainly ornamental, according to one of the leading architects working in Ireland at the time, none other than James Gordan in the early 1780's. James Gandon being one of the most sought after architects of the time, Smyth rose to prominence under his patronage and went on to sculpt some of the most recognisable features on some of Dublin's most famous buildings. From humble beginnings he was to become a wealthy man.

Looking out over College Green from the roof of the Old Parliament, stand his figures of Justice, Wisdom and Liberty. His works are dotted around the Custom House; the 14 keystones representing 14 Irish rivers on the building are his, along with the Arms of Ireland - a Lion and a Unicorn standing either side of the Irish Harp. He was also responsible for work on a number of churches throughout Dublin, ornaments, statues and coats of arms at Kings Inns. In her "This Ireland" column in the Irish Times in March 1975, Elgy Gillespie noted that it wasn't until the 1950's that discovery of Smyth's keystones on the building at Sir John Rogerson's Quay was made, quoting Harold Leask (architect responsible in part for the reconstruction of the GPO) in  the Royal Society of Antiquaries Journal on their discovery. That column, and various sources, neglect to  mention how the heads managed to make their way from Carlisle Bridge and onto the facade of a building on Sir John Rogerson's Quay. Another reason why, when walking around this city, you should keep your head up because who knows what you might find!

http://comeheretome.com/tag/dublin-architecture/

 

This is main text area

You can add more web parts to this web part zone

Our Focus

We focus on key Microsoft technologies and invest our training and development resources in these.

This strategy was rewarded when we won Microsoft World Wide Partner of Year – Information Worker Solutions for an innovative system combining Microsoft Office , SharePoint and BizTalk Server.

Contact Us

+ 353 1 652 2000

Email: info@spanishpoint.ie

Separator Copyright © 2016 Spanish Point Technologies, Ltd. All rights reserved.